Rutgers University Board of Governors Buildings and Grounds Committee
Scope and Content
The records of the Buildings and Grounds Committee demonstrate the large range of topics the committee was charged with considering. Plans for new buildings, maintenance of existing facilities, proposed campus expansions, traffic concerns and fire safety, were all matters that were addressed by this committee. The records themselves mostly consist of meeting minutes and supporting material. Here is an example of the topics discussed in the meeting minutes for October 3, 1996:
- Presentation of Schematic Design - Center for Law and Justice
- Receipt of Bids - Library of Science and Medicine
- Contractors Selection - SERC II
- Route 18 Improvements
- Reolution - Mid-Block Crosswalks
- Turf Playing Fields at Rutgers Stadium
- Significant Facilities Projects
6.8 Cubic Feet (17 manuscript boxes)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Some material in this collection is restricted. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives for more information.
A committee on Buildings and Grounds was established by the Board of Governors on October 17, 1956. The committee was charged with advising the Chairman of the Board of Governors and Board of Trustees, as well as the President of the Corporation and University, with "respect to the buildings, grounds and equipment occupied by or utilized by the University." The committee was also expected to make recommendations as to the "acquisition of additional real estate and the erection of buildings." The records in this collection comprise meeting minutes and agendas, as well as reports and studies, on such subjects as campus development and master plans; capital improvements; renovations and repairs; the sale and acquisition of land or real estate; architectural proposals; traffic studies; and other matters.
The Buildings and Grounds Committee was formally established in 1956 as the Rutgers Board of Governors Committee on Buildings and Grounds. Prior to 1956, the Buildings and Grounds Committee was a standing committee of the Board of Trustees, which before 1912 was known as the Properties Committee. In turn, The Properties Committee evolved from a short-lived Repairs Committee that was active prior to 1870. Before the American Civil War, the business of managing the buildings and grounds of Rutgers College appears to have been handled on an ad hoc basis.
The records of the Rutgers University Board of Governors Buildings and Grounds Committee are arranged chronologically. While the folders were organized around monthly meetings, the arrangement within individual folders varies and dates on some materials either precede or follow that of the meeting itself. Most likely, the filing system changed with each new Secretary of the University.
While the committee was comprised of members drawn from both the Board of Governors and the Board of Trustees, the files in this collection were maintained by the Secretary of the University, who seems to have been charged with the dissemination of materials to the committee. At its origination, the Secretary was Karl Metzger (1950-1974), who was followed by Jean Sidar (1975-1989), Norman McNatt (1989-1991) and Mildred Schildkamp (1991-2003). Each had their own methods of organization which are reflected in these papers. Although the Buildings and Grounds Committee has continued to meet since 2002, the records of their meetings are not included in this collection.
Some materials restricted. Contact archivist for more information.
- Inventory to the Records of the Rutgers University Board of Governors Buildings and Grounds Committee, 1952-2002 RG 02/C4
- Edited Full Draft
- Kenneth Cleary
- January 2013
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.
Part of the Rutgers University Archives Repository
Rutgers University Libraries
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
169 College Avenue
New Brunswick NJ 08901-1163