Helen-Chantal Pike Collection on Asbury Park, New Jersey
- Majority of material found within 1850-2007
Scope and Content Note
The Helen-Chantal Pike Collection on Asbury Park, New Jersey consists of materials about or created in Asbury Park, New Jersey and surrounding Monmouth County towns including Ocean Grove and Eatontown. The collection has been arranged based on Pike’s own organization of the materials, which span the early 1850s to the mid-2000s.
The collection is arranged into four series: POSTCARDS, PHOTOGRAPHS AND SLIDES, SCRAPBOOKS and MISCELLANEOUS. The postcard series is arranged into four boxes by broad subject area: Hotels; Society; Beach, and Miscellaneous. The Miscellaneous section includes postcards from around New Jersey, as well as other states and cities. The Photographs and Slides series is arranged into twelve folders by subject. While some subjects, like “shops” and “people” are broad, other more specific subjects including “Morro Castle” and “Springwood Avenue Riots” document specific events in Asbury Park history. The Scrapbooks series contains two scrapbooks. One documents the year 1934 in the life of the Banker family. The other, also created by Banker family members, includes primarily newspaper clippings from 1970 to 1972. This scrapbook provides information on the 1970 riots from the perspective of Asbury Park business owner Ann Banker Barr.
2 cubic feet (3 postcard boxes, 2 manuscript boxes, 2 scrapbooks)
Language of Materials
This collection was donated by Helen-Chantal Pike in 2015.
A collection of printed and manuscript materials from Helen C. Pike’s research on Asbury Park, New Jersey and surrounding areas resulting in multiple books on the subjects.
All publications from this collection have been removed and cataloged.
- Guide to the Helen-Chantal Pike Collection on Asbury Park, New Jersey
- Edited Full Draft
- Rachel Ferrante and Christie Lutz
- December 2017
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.
- Special Collections and University Archives, Rutgers University received an operating support grant from the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State.
Part of the New Brunswick Special Collections Repository