Skip to main content
 Collection
Identifier: NJ009

New Jersey Trade and Manufacturers' Catalog Collection

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1848-2010 ( 1870-2008)

Abstract

The Rutgers University Libraries collection of New Jersey trade and manufacturers catalogs reflects an effort "to collect, preserve and make available for research, primary and secondary materials in various formats, documenting all aspects of New Jersey's history, from its founding to the present."

Extent

19.4 cubic feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement Note

The items in the finding aid for the New Jersey Trade and Manufacturers' Catalogs Collection are arranged by place of publication. Items published outside New Jersey have been cited according to the location of first-named or most prominently named New Jersey entity--factory, showroom, business office, dealership, etc. Citations for catalogs whose imprint is not New Jersey appear with a brief, explanatory, note. For example, below the citation, "Iron railings, wire fences-entrance gates. New York: Anchor Post Iron Works, [19--]," we have included, "Factory located in Garwood, N.J." Items with no apparent New Jersey affiliation are listed at the end of the finding aid under "miscellaneous."

Due to preservation concerns, items in the collections are stored in groups based on size. The finding aid includes a notation for each item (Size 1 through Size 5); this size must be included on the call slip when requesting catalogs so that the item can be retrieved.

Related Items

Noah Morrison's Catalogs of Books for Sale (1894-1932, and undated)

Peter Henderson's Garden Catalogs (1865-1952, and undated)

General

Additional processing of this collection was completed by David Kuzma, Alexandra Bernet and Cynthia Hammel.

Title
New Jersey Trade and Manufacturers' Catalog Collection
Status
Edited Full Draft
Author
RUL Staff
Date
July 2015
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.
Sponsor
Special Collections and University Archives, Rutgers University received an operating support grant from the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State.